Sunday, October 9, 2011

training for the grand canyon!

well, seeing as how i'm going to attempt a double grand canyon crossing in a couple of weeks with 2 guys i kinda know, jd and chris , and 2 guys i've never met before, i figured i'd better get used to running with a big-assed pack - not sure how much water will be available this time of year! i loaded up my salomon with 3 liters, threw in another bottle for good measure, crammed in a bunch of clothes, a banana and handful of honey stingers, and headed over to the tai chi center.

i came across andrea's husband vito on centerville creek, who, after saying i was insane, warned me that it was hunting season, and offered to drive me to wherever i was running! 'get in the truck - you're going to get shot'.

the pack wasn't giving me any grief, and i was having a great run! colors were amazing!

i met up with moose and his buddy geoff (roadie who had never run trail before) just past the first switchback north of 9. i don't think geoff was feeling the love at this point . . .

kool mushroomie things . . .

my turnaround point - the 'pagoda-in-the-middle-of-nowhere' . . .

ahahaha! check it out - a water station - for hikers!!

we left geoff at the parking lot on the 7th, and then moose opted to run back with me to humber station. probably not the best of plans, as he was pretty messed up by the time we got there. typical moose though - let's not run for weeks, and then go out and do 3+ hours! that would totally kill me!! i managed to get him into the mazda and over to timmies for some food. good thing too, as he was looking ugly and getting kinda krabby!

in total, i did 5 hours - big thanks for keeping me company guys. what an incredible day! i LOVE this time of year!!!

I'm a man with a one track mind
So much to do in one life time (Do you hear me people?)
Not a man for compromise and where's and why's and living
lies
So I'm living it all (yes I'm living it all)
And I'm giving it all (and I'm giving it all)

No comments:

Post a Comment